Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mechanics of the AIM Blog

Hi Everyone! This is Donna writing....it's really a group effort as it appears at the bottom that Laura has made this post, but she set up the blog and now we're off and running....literally!

So this post is about the mechanics of our blog. It's meant for all of us to be able to create a new post in which you can put links and pictures (to keep us all motivated and informed!). But mostly, the majority of you will probably post replies to the separate posts within each post. (You do that by clicking on the subject title of the post....and if you don't have a google account....I believe it prompts you to set one up - it's free and quick.) That way, we can all see the "comments" or replies to a post or topic, vs. separate emails all over the place. Make sense?

I'm learning, too, and in a previous post, I didn't post a live link - I just typed the URL to the Danskin website. But I've since learned that you have to highlight the URL and hit the link icon to make it live or interactive:

http://www.danskintriathlon.net/Home_Page.html

So, by going to the link above answers the first question: Where and when for the Danskin tri in 2010? They posted tentative dates of July 24/25, 2010 in Webster, MA. (Brock's b-day so I won't forget...)

Here's your first challenge...(there will be many along the way if you choose to "go for" completing a triathlon this summer)....please post a reply to this post. Even if just to say "I got it" or "just testing".....that way we'll know you're out there and listening/watching this post. Or...you can get creative and Lesa can ask Laura a question and Laura can post a reply asking Lynn for input...etc. (I apologize if I'm talking below you guys, but everyone is at different tech-savvy levels.)

Which brings up the next mechanics of this blog...as best as I know...you have 2 choices right now to view the blog...save the link to favorites and check it periodically, or wait until an email is sent to you. If anyone knows of an automated way to "follow" a blog......PLEASE SHARE!

Oh......for now I'm minimizing who has the password to make posts, but just post a comment that you want the password and Laura, Lesa or I will get it out to you. Also, this is a public post, so technically, someone in Minnesota could find it and follow it, but mostly it will just be seen by our group. So, the more active we are on it, the better!

Later,

Donna

6 comments:

  1. Donna replying to this post as a test....DLJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so Kelly and I are trying to figure out how we can receive email upated when someone posts comments or when the "publisher" blogs something.

    The only thing I can gather thus far is subscribe to the RSS feed for AIM (Athletes In Motion) thru google reader, add self as friend, go thru all settings.

    I did find when commenting on a Post there is a link to SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL to the lower right of the comment box. By selecting this it seems that one will receive email prompts to the Single post commented on...

    Hope this helps?
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the comments only come to me as the creator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly - thanks for testing. Laura and Lesa - I agree with you both...Laura is getting the emails as "creator" cause when I posted, I selected that "SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL" box to which Lesa is describing....I also thought that "adding as a friend" would get us automatic updates, but I thought I did that because Lesa and my pictures are under the "follow" header - but maybe I didn't do it properly. Anyhoo....checking back on the link is a good idea, as well as periodic emails of the link. The GREAT news is that one can scroll down to previous posts and nothing is lost!

    -D

    ReplyDelete