Sunday, January 24, 2010

What's YOUR Dream?

You've all seen "Pretty Woman", right? Remember the guy walking around Hollywood shouting "What's your dream? - Everyone comes to Hollywood with a dream!" Well, what's your dream for the best outcome of training for a triathlon? A healthier body? New friends? Reaching a goal? Demanding time for yourself? A medal like the one hanging around my neck last July 27th? Or maybe a medal like the age-group medals Lesa, Caitlin and I won (and Cathy for being the 2nd-place woman finisher) while running a road race in the fall......in the pouring rain?
You might already be "chomping at the bit" and ready to partake in some group training. Right now, the activity out there is enjoying some winter fun (skating, hiking and skiing), taking some classes here and there and perfecting our swim stroke by joining the Masters Swim team in the North Attleboro pool. Although we're in danger of starting too early for a July triathlon, unbelievably, the momentum from last year is still going strong! So, I'd like to invite you to a couple of scheduled events:

Monday, January 25th, 7:30 p.m. North Attleboro Pool - Lenny will help perfect your stroke! Laura, Jennifer and I plan to be there...Caryn will join next week. If this notice is too short, the next masters swim team takes place Wednesday, January 27th. (Comment to this blog to see who else plans to go on the 25th...I'm shooting for it...)

Saturday, January 30th, All Day Skiing at Mt. Wachusett. Skiers of ALL levels are welcomed and the Beckett's are putting together a "Franklin Group Day" and and with a few more participants, we can get a group rate - and there are "learn to ski packages". Come out for a picnic on the deck or pull your child in a sled in front of the base lodge - even if you don't plan to ski! We all need that Vitamin D this time of year!

Be sure to get in touch with me (Donna) at djacobites@akibia.com if you want to be included in the group, or if you want more pricing information.

YMCA Group Classes YPump on Tuesday mornings at 6 a.m., Core on Friday mornings at 6 a.m., Zumba and Yoga on the weekends....

Unofficial YMCA Meeting times: Saturdays at 6:30 a.m. Lesa meets a group of women, Wednesday and Friday at 5:15 a.m. we've had Jean, Ellen, Laura, Kara and Donna on the treadmills........Jennifer's usually in the pool at 5 a.m........Caryn goes to the Y daily between 9-1 p.m......

Ok, now there really is a need for everyone to email me your picture and I will post it so we can RECOGNIZE each other! Talk a little about what you want to get out of joining this group.... (Best would be to comment and respond to this blog - posting your picture - but no worries if you want me to do it for you!)

Looking forward to virtually meeting everyone,

Donna

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna

    Not sure how the blog works. Can I ask a question of the group via the blog? My goal this year is to finish the swim portion doing freestyle the whole way. I've done maybe 4 triathlon and the swim is always my biggest challenge - usually doing freestyle for only 20% of the time. I learned to swim just 5 years ago and I know that a key to me being able to accomplish my goal will be to do some open water swims (since I tend to tense up in the water). To that end, I am hoping to find a group to swim with/get motivated with. I saw in the Y catalog that there is a triathlon training group in N Attleboro and was wondering what its all about and if anybody has joined it. Is this group part of that? On the blog it says something about keeping Wed nights and Sat mornings free. Is that for running/swimming/brick workouts?

    Sorry for all the questions!!

    Thanks

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecilia: I posted your question above (as if I was Laura because she created the blog...but don't worry about that...) To answer your question, we haven't trained with the triathlon club in North Attleboro, but when they offer the times, it's something we should look into. Right now, however, the Masters Swim team is practicing in North Attleboro, but that might be a little too intense. Regarding Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings, those were our successful times to meet and "do our own thing" as you described. We determined we were a bit light on the running last year, but were pretty faithful about getting the Brick training in....so our thighs were not in shock after the bike! Also, after the pool training, we'll be sure to get in some OPEN WATER even more than last year as Walden Pond is a great spot and Lake Winthrop (which we didn't find until AFTER the tri last year)in Holliston is a convenient spot for us - nice shallow, sandy bottom - and free after 6 p.m.! We practiced group starts at Walden Pond last year - which made a big difference for our "first-timers". Others- feel free to chime in on Cecilia's questions! Donna P.S. Notes in previous blog (look at "older post" on bottom right of screen) regarding "mechanics of blogging" may be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this thing!

    Ok I hope to make Mon. the 25th in NA (anyone want to carpool). I also hope to do laps on Sundays in Franklin as soon as my shift is over (12:00) for anyone interested in meeting me there.

    As for the Y triathlon group in NA I know nothing about it but there is one in Franklin as well I can get my feelers out and gather info on it.

    Donna, do you think we will be gathering as a group again as an "AIM Kick off"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesa: Sorry for my slow reply...I'm going to NA Masters again tonight, Wed. 1/27 if you want to carpool? (7:30 p.m. start time) Anyone else interested? Jennifer got lots of 1:1 time from Lenny and Caryn was there on Monday, as well. I'm hooked! Lenny said "the more the merrier" so don't worry if you can't do flip turns yet or think you might be slower than the rest. You don't know until you "tri"!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete