Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Open Water Swims (OWS) This Weekend!

I swam at Walden Pond last night with the SheROX group - beautiful, warm water!  Unfortunately, they closed the park at 6 p.m. due to over-capacity, so a lot of women were turned away! 

I will be offering 2 OWS this weekend:  Friday, June 25th at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday, June 27th at 8 a.m. at Lake Winthrop in Holliston, MAclick here for map to Lake Winthrop

Both times are before or after the gate guard is on duty and according to my experience last year, out-of-towners can just drive in, and there is no gate and no payment due.  (During daytime hours the cost is $20/day to park)  They didn't ticket me last year, but parking will be at your own risk.  I truly don't think we'll have a problem.

I can't emphasize enough the need for some OWS experience before race day.  This will reduce your race-day jitters for sure!  Regarding inclement weather, here's my attitude:  I'm a "just do it" kind of person, but of course, safety comes first.  So rather than worry about weather, I usually show up at whatever outdoor venue event I have planned and then go to a Plan B if necessary.  So, if on Friday night, the weather at my work is bad, I will still drive to Holliston, and if it is raining/lightening, I will have my running shoes packed and be prepared to go for a run, or give a talk (under a shelter) on racing.

See you there!

Donna

P.S.  There is no group training planned for July 3, 4 and 5

No comments:

Post a Comment